Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A Bible, An Almanac, and A Prayerbook...a soldier's story

Deck Of Cards...two versions
I was quite young when I first heard this story (the 2nd version below) and for an eight year old, I was impressed.  In fact, I even memorized it!  Although over the years it has long been lost in the deep reservoirs of my brain only to be resurrected by a recent email reminder.  The young man in the first video is also impressive with his slight of hand enhancement to the story.  But I post the second video for a couple of reasons.  First, it was the version I originally heard by Tex Ritter.  Second, although this has nothing to do with the story...it's the artist that I have somewhat of a connection.  Back in the early 70's I had the pleasure of meeting Mrs. Tex Ritter.  She was the guest speaker at our NCO Academy graduation at Knoxville, Tennessee.  After the ceremonies I was in conversation with her and retold the story of my first encounter with the Deck of Cards by her husband Tex.  I don't remember exactly what she said to me at the time but I could see in her eyes the flow of love she had for him.  It was one of those moments that all else is lost except for the experience of having been there and you felt good for having shared the moment. ~ Norman E. Hooben

No comments: