Saturday, December 14, 2013

Its that time of year again.

Dateline Okinawa 1968 -  Not a bad place to be when you're far away from home; the weather is fine, the food is good, and they're not shooting at you...but your still far from home!  I remember watching his show on television back in the states...the Christmas show for the troops overseas, I think I saw most of them.  Now its for real, I'm here in the audience and there's that legendary Bob Hope up on the stage.  Did you ever have that feeling like 'I-can't-believe-I'm-here' feeling?  I kind of felt that way, but it was a good feeling none the less.  And when the girls came on stage I guess we all had that vicarious thrill run through our veins.  There was Ann Margaret...not only a talented actress but one I could have easily ran off with if the situation warranted itself...and so would 5,000 other guys!
I'm not going to sit here and tell you that I can remember all the girls names that accompanied Bob because I can't...but they were all beautiful none the less.  The show was more than just beauty.  It was beautiful comedy...and funny, beautiful music...and singing, beautiful entertainment...and Bob!
Without a doubt the Bob Hope Christmas show was the very best live entertainment I have ever experienced...no one else can come close.  When the show ends you wish it hadn't but you have a good feeling all about you...and it runs throughout the entire audience.  I didn't know it at the time, but I would repeat this experience once again in 1970...dateline Vietnam.  ~  Norman E. Hooben, USAF, MSgt Retired

No comments: